My new dilemma is how to put words in the border of the I Spy quilt, so that there are specific things to look for in all the pictures... After much internal debate, and some trial and error, this is what I've come up with for a design:
There are 3 blocks shown here, each measures the same as the blocks in the quilt. I want to make enough of these for the two sides and the bottom of the quilt. Along the top, I'm thinking a solid purple with the words "I spy with my little eye" appliqued onto it.
The words are written on leftover white fabric with a fabric marker. The purples have all come out of my scrap bin, and my fingers are crossed that I will have enough to finish all the blocks I need.
Last night I started another new project (like I don't have enough fabric projects on the go at the moment). But I justified it by saying that this one doesn't need a sewing machine, or even a sewing room. It's hand pieced and I can do it on the couch watching tv or in the car when I'm not the one driving, and it'll help use up my scraps, and it all fits into a shoe box.
This is the first finished block of my Grandmother's Flower Garden. About halfway through, I decided I didn't like how the stitches were showing with the traditional directions, so I looked online and changed my way of sewing the pieces together by following these instructions. I had cut out 400 2-1/2" scrap squares (8 identical bags of 50) for my quilt guild's scrap exchange, but then couldn't attend the meeting to do the exchange, so those are the fabrics I'm using to make these blocks. This project will be a long time in the making, I'm sure, a little at a time, but it will help to keep my hands busy in the summertime when it is too hot to knit or crochet.