Sunday, September 29, 2013

A new bag

I didn't know what I was going to do with the blocks, but they managed to turn into a new tote bag, and it's lovely. 



I made a bunch of totes years ago when I first got into quilting. The pattern was from my first quilting book, The Quilting Bible, and it helped me to learn to piece blocks and quilt them on a smaller scale than doing a whole quilt.



Since those days, I have become much more adept at taking an idea and running with it, to make it more my own style, and I don't have to follow a pattern exactly. So, for this tote, I took aspects of the pattern that I liked (it is made in one long piece, folded in half, and sewn up the sides), and changed it slightly (to accommodate the blocks I had already made, different handles, and also made it deeper from front to back).

I still have one more block put together, and a few more 2 1/2" squares, but I'm not sure what they want to be yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment